The American Concrete Institute (ACI), founded in 1904, is the world’s leading resource for concrete standards and education, with a diverse, global membership of 20,000 individuals and organizations.
ACI partnered with Q + TUG for a website and brand initiative that culminated in the development of a new responsive website, logo, tagline, and brand guidelines.
Developing a responsive website design called for thorough analysis and planning. Aware that their site was outdated and difficult to use, ACI leadership engaged TUG to turn insights from ACI members into specifications for a new website.
In addition to providing visual design for the new site, Q was called upon for rebranding work which would be the first significant update to the ACI brand in 50 years. Q’s work needed to reflect the organization’s 110-year heritage while also signifying a step forward in the evolution of the ACI brand. Q’s recommendations would provide fresh design and consistent messaging across ACI’s extensive communications and promotional materials.
To begin developing the new website, TUG led in-depth strategic analysis and planning, assessing the existing site and conducting stakeholder interviews to understand the needs of site users. Based on the interviews, TUG created a set of personas with corresponding scenarios illustrating how key audience members would navigate the website.
TUG then created a site map and wireframes that defined the site structure and functionality. Q created three visual design concepts based on these documents, and one concept was selected for refinement. Additional page designs were defined and then final HTML/CSS templates were delivered along with a web style guide.
Before beginning the brand redesign, Q gathered assessments of existing brand equity and positioning from ACI’s branding task group. Q then developed a number of logo and tagline options. Through our collaborative process with ACI, a final logo, tagline, and brand positioning statement were presented to ACI’s board of directors along with the rationale behind each recommendation. Q then assisted in rolling out the new brand to ACI’s internal marketing team, membership, and the concrete industry.
- Launch of a new, revitalized brand that positions ACI as an inclusive, collaborative, globally connected and respected authority.
- User personas that illustrate the needs and behaviors of key ACI audience members, helping to guide the organization’s decision-making processes.
- Site map, wireframes, and HTML/CSS page templates provided to ACI’s internal web team for development of the new, responsive website.
- New tagline that communicates the organization’s members’ passion for advancing concrete knowledge, technology, and quality.
- New brand mark, brand positioning, and brand usage guidebook for ACI’s in-house design team.
- Design templates for marketing and communications materials and technical publications.
- Design guidelines for ACI sub-brands and local chapters.